Monday, January 21, 2008

15/5 January 16, 2008

15/5
January 16, 2008
The Studio class which consists of three classes (6190, 6200 and 6210) met today for the first time of the ‘08 spring semester. In some ways, this being my third studio class; it seems familiar and welcoming especially seeing classmates and professors we’ve had in past semesters. In other ways it seems very strange and unfamiliar. Our 6210 group were seated in the “place of honor” and were described in terms of being “experienced”, “seasoned”, and “experts”.
I really can’t say that I feel I have so much experience nor am an expert by any sense of the word. I think having experienced Studio as well as my other IT courses does credit me with some experiences that provide a set of skills I would not have received otherwise.
I heard a student on the radio this morning describing how each of her communication program classes gave the same information over and over. She felt that the only differences were how her instructors assessed her on the information.
I can attest that the IT program definitely imparts a variety of information in each class. I know I have been challenged academically, gain technical skills, have been introduced to and utilized a variety of learning theories all as a part of class lessons and projects. I know that I have gained a great deal of knowledge about instructional design and believe working in EDIT 6210 this semester will give me another opportunity to expand my skill set.
In our 6210 meeting we discussed our personalities and skills and tried to divide ourselves into teams. We seemed to naturally separate into two teams of five and although Dr. Clinton would like smaller teams, I think the groupings will work well. In our meetings, we also determined who would be responsible for specific areas of the project. Myra Blackmon will serve as our project manager, Roman Gaddis is in charge of instructional design, Melinda Pethel is our programmer, Radcliff Campbell will provide leadership as evaluator, and I will specialize in graphic design.
We’ve already started communication through email, and Google docs. Our team met on Horizon Wimba Tuesday, January 15th and put quite a few things in order. We decided a team name which I am very happy with; Genesis Learning. We exchanged email addresses, discussed looking at the skills inventory for the EDIT 6200 participants to see who would fit our needs, start the beginning of our scope document, created a list of questions for our client, Dr. Powell when we meet with her on Thursday, and began examining the ACA (camp organization) goals for our project.
I feel very good about what we’ve accomplished so far. This is the completion of my first 15/5 and although it’s taken me over an hour to write this out due to disruptions, it’s another accomplishment.

No comments: